[R] mgcv: distribution of dev with Poisson data

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 12:31:37 CET 2014

Greg,

The deviance being chi^2 distributed on the residual degrees of freedom
works in some cases (mostly where the response itself can be reasonably
approximated as Gaussian), but rather poorly in others (noteably low
count data). This is what you are seeing in your simulations - in the
first case the Poisson mean is relatively high - so the  normal
approximation to the Poisson is not too bad and the deviance is approx.
chi.sq on residual df. In the second case the Poisson mean is low, there
are lots of zeroes, and the approximation breaks down. So yes, the
Pearson estimator is probably a better bet in the latter case.

best,
Simom

ps. Note that the chi squared approximation for the *difference* in
deviance between two nested models does not suffer from this problem.

--
Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283