[R] proportional weights

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 6 16:04:07 CET 2014

Dear Marco,

What I said in the 2007 r-help posting to which you refer is, "The weights
used by lm() are (inverse-)'variance weights,' reflecting the variances of
the errors, with observations that have low-variance errors therefore being
accorded greater weight in the resulting WLS regression." ?lm says,
"Non-NULL weights can be used to indicate that different observations have
different variances (with the values in weights being inversely proportional
to the variances)."

If I understand your situation correctly, you know the error variances up to
a constant of proportionality, in which case you can set the weights
argument to lm() to the inverses of these values. As I showed you in the
example I just posted, weight and 2*weight *do* produce the same coefficient
estimates and standard errors, with the difference between the two absorbed
by the residual standard error, which is the square-root of the estimated
constant of proportionality.

If this is insufficiently clear, I'm afraid that I'll have to defer to
someone with greater powers of explanation.

Best,
 John