[R] Checking for and adding "..." arguments to a function...

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 23:08:34 CET 2014

Here are two ways:

## construct formals adding ...
f <- c(formals(myfunction), unlist(alist(... = )))
## replace the formals, excluding the extra ... if it previously existed
formals(myfunction) <- f[!duplicated(names(f))]

## 2nd way, searching for ... and doing the replacement only if it is not found
if(!any(grepl("...", names(formals(myfunction))))) {
    formals(myfunction) <- c(formals(myfunction), unlist(alist(... = )))
}

HTH,
Ista