[R] Question regarding the package rugarch

Grünenfelder Corina corinagr at student.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 7 17:42:30 CET 2014

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the package rugarch. I would like to fit a garch model with exogenous variables using rugarch. My code is as follows, where data.reg is a time series object where the first column corresponds to the response variable and the remainder columns are the exogenous variables.

spec <- ugarchspec(variance.model = list(model = "sGARCH", garchOrder = c(1, 1),
                                         submodel = NULL, external.regressors = NULL, variance.targeting = FALSE),
                   mean.model = list(armaOrder = c(1, 1), external.regressors = data.reg[,-1]))
                                     #, distribution.model = "norm", start.pars = list(), fixed.pars = list()))

garch <- ugarchfit(spec=spec,data=data.reg[,1],solver.control=list(trace=0))

When running the second command, the following error appears:

Error in pars[idx["mxreg", 1]:idx["mxreg", 2], 1] = fit.mean[i] :
  replacement has length zero

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks for your help
Corina