[R] tt() function (was "Package dependencies in building R packages")

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 9 17:42:23 CET 2014

On 12/31/2013 05:00 AM, r-help-request at r-project.org wrote:
> Thanks for your kind response Duncan. To be more specific, I'm using the
> function mvrnorm from MASS. The issue is that MASS depends on survival and
> I have a function in my package named tt() which conflicts with a function
> in survival of the same name. I can think of 2 alternatives solutions to my
> problem, but I'm to an expert:
>
> 1) Copy mvrnorm into my package, which I thought was not a good idea
> 2) Rename my tt() function to something else in my package, but this is
> painful as I have it all over the place in other functions.

> Best,
> Axel.

Version 2.37-5 of survival has just been submitted to CRAN. In this new release the tt()
function was made externally invisible, so you should not have problems.  This will take a
few days to propogate out to the various mirrors (perhaps longer if the Windows build has
issues).

This question of how to best deal with functions that only have meaing within a coxph
model statement came up on R-devel just over a year ago, and I'm just now implementing the
workaround found there.  In time the cluster(), pspline(), ridge() and frailty() functions
are likely to receive the same treatment.

Terry T