[R] Regular expressions on filenames

Fisher Dennis fisher at plessthan.com
Thu Jan 16 01:37:32 CET 2014

R 3.0.2
OS X

Colleagues

I am writing code to read a large number of files in a particular folder.  In some situations, there may be two versions of the file with different extensions, e.g.:
	FILE.csv
	FILE.xls
I extracted the portion before the extension with:
	sub("\\..*$", "", basename(FILELIST))
then used
	duplicated
to find duplicates.  All was well until I encountered files named:
	FILE.XXX.csv
	FILE.YYY.xls

My regular expression extracted only the “FILE” portion of the text and claimed that the filenames (without the extensions) matched.  Can someone provide me with the appropriate regular expression to deal with this?  Thanks.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)