[R] APA two-way bar-chart

Dr. Thomas W. MacFarland tommac at nova.edu
Sat Jan 4 16:24:56 CET 2014

Hi Benjamin:

If the problem is legend location, then look at the legend help page and note the beginning statement:

     legend {graphics} R Documentation

     This function can be used to add legends to plots. Note that a call to the function locator(1) can be used in place of the x and y arguments.

Sample code, not for a barplot but still relevant, follows.

And yes, for your specific problem the barplot() function may be all that you need, and then fine tune legend composition and placement.

Best wishes.

Tom

savelwd      <- par(lwd=4)         # Heavy line
par(ask=TRUE)
sm::sm.density.compare(GenRegM1M2.df$M1,
  GenRegM1M2.df$Gender.recode,
  xlab=list("M1", cex=1.15, font=2),
  ylab=list("Density", cex=1.15, font=2),
  xlim=c(0,120), ylim=c(0,0.05))    # Adjust as needed
  title(main="Density Plot of M1 by Gender")
colorfill <- c(2:(2+length(levels(
  GenRegM1M2.df$Gender.recode))))
legend(locator(1), levels(
  GenRegM1M2.df$Gender.recode),
  fill=colorfill)
  # Remember to click on an open location to paste the
  # legend into the figure.
par(savelwd)
  # Note how the line width is accommodated and then
  # set back to the original value.