[R] Maximum of Maximum

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 10 22:03:40 CET 2014

It probably doesn't make much difference in this small example, but
maybe it's worth noting that **if possible** (it typically is not),
things can be speeded up by generating all the random numbers at once
then applying a vectorized operation to the entire ensemble. In this
case, this becomes:

ran <- do.call(pmax,data.frame(matrix(rnorm(1e6),nr=1000)))

pmax() is the vectorized operation. The do.call(...,data.frame(..)))
construction must be used to satisfy the argument list requirements
for pmax and do.call.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter