[R] demonstrating R in introductory class using point-and-click software

Dennis Murphy djmuser at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 08:49:50 CET 2014

Hi Ranjan:

I think this is an important and well-posed question. AFAIR, sciviews
provides a fairly sophisticated GUI for R, but I haven't looked at it
in a while. The two packages I'd suggest you look at are John Fox's R
Commander (package Rcmdr...and note all the plug-ins!) and Ian
Fellows' Deducer package, both of which use a more sophisticated GUI
than the R GUI console in Windows.

Deducer runs on top of Java; it needs both rJava and JGR. If you're
using 64-bit R, you also need 64-bit Java installed; if you're content
with 32-bit R, then 32-bit Java is all you need. I know that Deducer
runs pretty smoothly on 32-bit R, but for 64-bit, you'll need to be a
bit more vigilant about the Java interface. For classroom purposes, I
would think 32-bit R is sufficient.

R Commander uses Tcl/Tk to program the GUI, and since a version of
Tcl/Tk comes bundled with binary versions of R, you don't have to
worry too much about the interface.

Take notice that both packages have plug-in packages that you can load
on top of the standard GUI.

I find it a little disheartening that in this era, engineers in
training are averse to programming, though. Sigh..

HTH,
Dennis