[R] R Installation Options

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 23 18:25:20 CET 2014

On 23/01/2014 16:15, Mark Lyman wrote:
> Can I build a version of R for Windows without some functionality like ftp
> and sockets? And without some of the recommended packages? It doesn't look
> like this can be done from the Windows install file, but if it can that
> would nice to know too.

Installing the recommended packages is a documented step you can omit.

Not building the Internet support means modifying Makefiles, but it
would seem as easy to remove the internet[2].dll if you want to hobble
the feature.

OTOH, in 15 years no one has ever asked to build R without internet
support, on any platform.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk