[R] sapply returning list instead of matrix

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jan 31 22:44:53 CET 2014

As you ignored the posting guide and posted in HTML, your "below"
didn't get through. So one can only guess that it has something to do
with (see ?sapply)

"Simplification in sapply is only attempted if X has length greater
than zero and if the return values from all elements of X are all of
the same (positive) length. If the common length is one the result is
a vector, and if greater than one is a matrix with a column
corresponding to each element of X. "

Return values most also be of the same type, also, obviously.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics