[R] yet another regular expression

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Jul 1 01:48:41 CEST 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 11:13:18 PM Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have managed, with the help of glob2rx() to get two parts of a text
> manipulation working. I have successfully gotten rid of the first and
> second bits, but I have hit the wall trying to get rid of the last bit.
> Here's an example:
>
> initString<-
>  "\"Delete this\":value1,\"Delete this too\":value2},Delete last bit"
> sub("\"Delete this too\":","",
>  sub(glob2rx("*this\":*"),"",initString),fixed=TRUE)
>
> This gives me:
>
> [1] "value1,value2},Delete last bit"
>
> and glob2rx("},*") just won't get rid of the last bit. I throw myself upon
> the mercy of the regular expression gurus.

Hi again,
Sorry, but my "minimal reproducible example" was apparently
misleading. "value1" and "value2" are not fixed strings, but varying
numbers. After a night's sleep I solved the problem using strsplit(), which
gave me a big list of strings that I could process without wearing out the
"\" key. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim