[R] Extrapolation of rarefaction curve

gktahon Guillaume.Tahon at UGent.be
Tue Jul 8 16:07:57 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I used R (vegan package) to make rarefaction curves and I calculated the
Chao index for each curve. However, the plateau is far from reached.
What I want to do now is the following:
Based on the Chao index, I want to extrapolate the curve so I get an x-value
which gives me an estimation of the total number of clones I'd have to pick
up and sequence in order to have a full coverage of the species diversity in
my sample.
Is there anyone who knows how to do this? Using vegan or any other package?
Or is there any other way to calculate this x-value?

Thanks in advance!

Guillaume