[R] R Studio v3.0.3 for Windows 32bits is too slow

Phan, Truong Q Troung.Phan at team.telstra.com
Fri Jul 11 03:46:43 CEST 2014

Hi All,

Thanks for all comments/suggestions.
I would like to clarify a few things for some of your questions/doubts.

1) Matt Peeples' K-Clusters R scripts has covered some of pre-requisite steps for the K-Clusters algorithm.
   I would recommend for those who has not done K-Clusters to read it.
	a) Convert count data to percent
	b) Allow to use Z-score standardize data when variables differ greatly in range or standard deviation or are not directly comparable measures

2) K-Clusters algorithm can handle well for the dataset which has less than 5000 features.

3) Our original dataset has more than 9000 parameters which I have been using Hadoop MapReduce streaming via Python to reduce them down to around 2000 parameter and then I use R to further cleansing data down to 1426 parameters.

4) I have been trying to use Mahout and Cloudera's Oryx tools but the integration of different tools perform tasks: Prepare data, Build models, Cross Validating models, Test models and Present data product are far too complicate for this small POC.

Thanks and Regards,
Truong Phan

P    + 61 2 8576 5771
M   + 61 4 1463 7424