[R] linearHypothesis() ERROR-Message

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jul 11 03:54:08 CEST 2014

Dear Katharina,

There's no specific method for linearHypothesis() for objects produced by plm(), but as you say, the default method seems to work. For example, following example(plm):

---------- snip -----------

> linearHypothesis(zz, names(coef(zz)), test="F")
Linear hypothesis test

Hypothesis:
log(pcap) = 0
log(pc) = 0
log(emp) = 0
unemp = 0

Model 1: restricted model
Model 2: log(gsp) ~ log(pcap) + log(pc) + log(emp) + unemp

  Res.Df Df      F    Pr(>F)
1    768
2    764  4 3064.8 < 2.2e-16 ***
---
Signif. codes:  0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

The error message seems reasonably self-explanatory, and given the hypothesis that you're testing -- that all coefficients are 0 -- it suggests that the covariance matrix of the coefficients is numerically singular. You can check that, e.g., by examining the eigenstructure of vcov(fixed.interest3).

I agree that's curious given that plm() doesn't complain. Are you able to get coefficient standard errors in summary(fixed.interest3)?

Without your data, it's not possible to say more, and you could make the problem reproducible by supplying the data. In any event, I've just returned from several weeks out of town and wouldn't be able to look at your data for a few days.

I hope this helps,
 John