[R] Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 Big Problem - New User

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.CA.us
Tue Jul 15 07:13:58 CEST 2014

Providing error messages without the inputs that provoked them leaves us with only half a conversation to interpret. (For instance, what is with the misspelling error?) It is also helpful when they are provided in the sequence that they happened.

I am going to make a wild guess that you loaded your previous variables, perhaps automatically from the .RData file, but you don't remember which packages to load to work with them. You only use the install.packages function to get them into the R "library" directories (typically from CRAN). You use the "library" or "require" functions to pull them into memory each time you restart R to do some analysis. Usually it is best to store the sequence of R statements that do your analysis in a .R file. You can then just run all the commands in that file later when you have forgotten how you did your analysis the first time.

The fact that loading your variables from the .RData file does not also reload the packages you need to do your analysis is a pain. I prefer to not use RData files at all since the R file can both load those needed packages and remind me how the analysis was done.

You should read about how to ask clear questions, such as at [1], and read the Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom of this email which points out that you should post in plain text or we might not see what you see.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
/Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

On July 14, 2014 6:38:53 PM PDT, Ryan Dallavia <rcdall at gmail.com> wrote:
>I am new to this program. I initially installed both R and R Studio 3
>months ago, easily and got a d-base icon from the package I needed, and
>my tables in spreadsheet form in studio. Now, everything has
>disappeared on
>its own -seriously nothing changed.  When trying to get my package
>back, I
>get this:
>Error: could not find function "intall.packages"
>Installing package into ���/Users/Computer/Library/R/3.1/library���
>(as ���lib��� is unspecified)
>trying URL '
>Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 255365 bytes (249 Kb)
>opened URL
>downloaded 249 Kb
>The downloaded binary packages are in
>var is a private directory. Though I can pull individual tables from
>package (Lahman), they are now unlinked. SQL and stat commands are
>by R and Studio. I tried about 2 dozen methods of changing the
>specifying .lib and libPaths, (at least the ones online I understood),
>nothing worked, I moved the package (Lahman) to an R directory, but I
>not see it, and there seems to be no way to turn it back into a working
>d-base in the working dir complete with icon suggesting it is locked
>loaded. I have tried clean installs of everything, yet R-Studio seems
>remember what I did last (I don't know how). I need this back the way
>was: a functioning d-base from Lahman package in R-Studio and R.
>Suggestions seriously needed. It seems unfixable, and the "var' problem
>seems very rare. Thanks for reading this.
>	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>R-help at r-project.org mailing list
>PLEASE do read the posting guide
>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

More information about the R-help mailing list