[R] Cutting hierarchical cluster tree at specific height fails

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:31:42 CEST 2014

Hi Johannes,

you mentioned dynamicTreeCut - the dynamic hybrid method works fine on
your data. Just supply the dissimilarity matrix as well: I use the
function plotDendroAndColors from WGCNA to show the results; if you
don't want to use WGCNA, just leave out the last call.

library(WGCNA)

set.seed(42)
x <- c(rnorm(100,50,10),rnorm(100,200,25),rnorm(100,80,15))
y <- c(rnorm(100,50,10),rnorm(100,200,25),rnorm(100,150,25))
df <- data.frame(x,y)
hc <- hclust(dist(df,method = "euclidean"), method="centroid")
dm = as.matrix(dist(df,method = "euclidean"))
plot(hc)
labels = cutreeDynamic(hc, distM = dm, deepSplit = 2)
# ..cutHeight not given, setting it to 115  ===>  99% of the
(truncated) height range in #dendro.
#..done.
plotDendroAndColors(hc, labels)

As you see, the algorithm found 3 clusters that seem right based on
the dendrogram.

Please look carefully at the help file for cutreeDynamic since the
defaults may not be what you want.

If you absolutely want to cut at a given height, it can be done as
well, but the arguments will need some massaging.

Best,

Peter