[R] analyzing qualitative data sets

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jul 29 15:29:10 CEST 2014

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Sun Shine wrote:

> (a) what types of analyses are available to apply to the data types above?

   Many years ago I consulted to a graduate nursing program; the students
were asking the same questions you ask: what sort of statistics will turn my
sow's ears of survey data into a silk purse of a Masters in Nursing (ed. or
admin. were the two options).

   I'll tell you what I told them. First, decide what question(s) you want to
answer, in detail not generalities. Second, design your surveys so that they
can provide the data you need to answer your questions. Also, know how to
select potential responders.

   I am far from knowledgeable about surveys, but what I do know is that they
are difficult to construct so the responses will allow answers to the
questions of concern.

   You are encouraged to think more about the end result before you seek
magic to rescue inappropriate data.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. | Troutdale, OR 97060 USA