[R] Problem with rbind.fill

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 06:44:18 CEST 2014

On Jun 1, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Bill Bentley wrote:

> The following works as it should...
>
>> both<-rbind(females,males)
>
>> both
>
>  workshop gender q1 q2 q3 q4
>
> 1        1      f  1  1  5  1
>
> 2        2      f  2  1  4  1
>
> 3        1      f  2  2  4  3
>
> 5        1      m  4  5  2  4
>
> 6        2      m  5  4  5  5
>
> 8        2      m  4  5  5  5
>

> Next I changed the objects males and females so they had different numbers
> of variables and used rbind again and got an error which I expected.
>

>> both <- rbind(females, males)
>
> Error in rbind(deparse.level, ...) :
>
>  numbers of columns of arguments do not match
>

> Next I attached the 'reshape' library and tried to use rbind.fill but as the
> code below shows, it does NOT work.   The library seems to load ok (no error
> message) and appears in the list when I use the library() command.
>

>> library("reshape")

Try:

help(pack="reshape")

Do you see  a listing for rbind.fill? I don't.

>> both <- rbind.fill(females, males)
>
> Error: could not find function "rbind.fill"

If you cannot find a function then try:

??rbind.fill

> The book I'm following does this the same way and it works for them.

Maybe they loaded a different package? Or perhaps one that attached the package that has rbind.fill?

>   I've
> re-downloaded and installed the reshape package but to no avail.  Not sure
> what to do.  Can't find an answer in help.  I'm a brand new R user.   Any
> suggestions what I'm doing wrong?   Thanks!

My suggestion ( which is only slightly disingenuous, since I do know what package has the forenamed function), is to "learn to fish":

# Either:

install.packages("sos")
library(sos)
findFn("rbind.fill")