[R] R-memory: clearing memory within a function?

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:35:58 CEST 2014

Hi Frank,

I don't think it is possible to state a general rule about which will
be faster. For example this

system.time({
    for(i in 1:10000) {
        x <- matrix(rnorm(10), ncol = 10)
        y <- mean(x)
        #rm(x)
        z <- matrix(runif(10), ncol = 100)
        #rm(z)
    }
})

gets a lot slower if I uncomment the "rm()" lines, but this

system.time({
    for(i in 1:5) {
        x <- matrix(rnorm(10000000), ncol = 10)
        y <- mean(x)
        rm(x)
        z <- matrix(runif(10000000), ncol = 100)
        rm(z)
    }
})

is slightly faster than it would be without the rm() lines. I think
you'll have to run a smaller version of the simulation both ways and
see which is faster.

Best,
Ista