[R] Bitwise operations on large numbers

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Jun 6 00:31:04 CEST 2014

> Double allows me to
> store large numbers but I can not perform bitwise shifting.

It is a nuisance that bitwShiftL and bitwShitR don't just shift (and
wrap around to negative) for integers so you could use all 32 bits.
You could use doubles and multiply (*) and divide (%/%) by 2^n instead
of shifting left and right by n bits.  That would give you 52 bits.
Bitwise 'and' and 'or' with doubles is harder to do efficiently at the
R level but you can get it done with the following:

shiftL <- function(x, n) x * 2^n
shiftR <- function(x, n) x %/% 2^n
or <- function(x, y) .bitOp(x, y, bitwOr)
and <- function(x, y) .bitOp(x, y, bitwAnd)
bitSlice <- function(x, from, length) shiftR(x, from) %% 2^(from+length)
.bitOp <- function(x, y, bitwOp) bitwOp(bitSlice(x, 0, 26),bitSlice(y,
0, 26)) + shiftL(bitwOp(bitSlice(x, 26, 26), bitSlice(y, 26, 26)), 26)
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com