[R] RODBC - address 0x407, cause 'memory not mapped'

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jun 6 20:29:03 CEST 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> "con" is probably not a valid ODBC DSN. You need to study how ODBC works independently of R... we cannot tell you what you should be putting there instead.

But what ever would be the correct answer, it should not segfault. I'm reasonable sure the maintainer will see this:

> maintainer("RODBC")
[1] "Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>"

It might assist in the debugging process if results of sessionInfo() were included in any followup.

--
David.

> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On June 6, 2014 5:56:12 AM PDT, "marcos.takahashi" <marcos.takahashi at mobly.com.br> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am running a simple R script using RODBC that follows:
>>
>> ----
>>
>> library(RODBC)
>> ch <- odbcConnect("con")
>>
>> cust<- sqlQuery(ch, "select
>>   id_customer,
>>   first_name
>> from
>>   customers
>> limit 100")
>>
>> sales<- sqlQuery(ch, "select
>>   id_order,
>>   revenue
>> from
>>   sales
>> limit 100")
>>
>> -----
>>
>> And it returns the following error:
>>
>> *** caught segfault ***
>> address 0x407, cause 'memory not mapped'
>>
>> Traceback:
>> 1: .Call(C_RODBCQuery, attr(channel, "handle_ptr"),
>> as.character(query),
>> as.integer(rows_at_time))
>> 2: odbcQuery(channel, query, rows_at_time)
>> 3: sqlQuery(ch, "select\n    id_order,\n    revenue\nfrom\n
>> sales\nlimit
>> 100")
>>
>> Possible actions:
>> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
>> 2: normal R exit
>> 3: exit R without saving workspace
>> 4: exit R saving workspace
>>
>> ------
>>
>> Does somebody have any idea about this issue?

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA