[R] mgcv: BAM convergence conflicting messages

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 18 11:07:22 CEST 2014

I think it didn't converge. The warning message is for the whole fitting
iteration, whereas mod07.3.BASE.bam5.1$converged indicates whether
smoothing parameter selection converged at the final step of the iteration.

best,
Simon

On 17/06/14 19:10, Trevor Davies wrote:
> I'm running some spatial GAMs and am using the bam call (negbin family) and
> am getting conflicting information on whether the model is converging or
> not.  When the model completes its run, I get a warning message that the
> model did not converge.  When I look at the object itself, I'm told that it
> did.  See below.
>
> Warning message:
> In bgam.fit(G, mf, chunk.size, gp, scale, gamma, method = method,  :
>    algorithm did not converge
>
>> mod07.3.BASE.bam5.1$converged
> [1] TRUE
>
> Am I missing something?
> Thank you,
> Trevor
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Simon Wood, Mathematical Science, University of Bath BA2 7AY UK
+44 (0)1225 386603               http://people.bath.ac.uk/sw283