[R] Basic plot density question

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 17:15:42 CEST 2014

First you should do your best to forget that you ever saw the command
"par(new=T)", rip that page out of any book you saw it in, blacklist
any webpage etc.  In general (as you see) it causes more problems than
it solves.

Now to do what you want there are a couple of options, one of the
simplest is to use the lines function:

d1 <- density(x1)
d2 <- density(x2)
plot(d1, xlab='', col='red',main='', ylim=range(d1$y,d2$y),
xlim=range(d1$x,d2$x) )
lines(d2, col='blue')

Other options include the matplot function or tools in the lattice and
ggplot2 packages.