[R] saving a 'get' object in R

David Stevens david.stevens at usu.edu
Tue Jun 24 22:57:28 CEST 2014

Thanks to all for the replies. I tried all three and they work great. I
was misinterpreting the list = parameter in save(...) and I get your
point about overwriting existing objects.  I've heard about not using
assign/get before. Can anyone point me to why and what alternatives
there are?

Regards

David

On 6/24/2014 2:50 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> I recommend to use saveRDS()/readRDS() instead.  More convenient and
> avoids the risk that load() has of overwriting existing variables with
> the same name.
>
> /Henrik
>
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Greg Snow <538280 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that you are looking for the `list` argument in `save`.
>>
>> save( list=foo, file=paste0(foo, '.Rdata') )
>>
>> In general it is best to avoid using the assign function (and get when
>> possible).  Usually there are better alternatives.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM, David Stevens <david.stevens at usu.edu> wrote:
>>> R community,
>>>
>>> Apologies if this has been answered. The concept I'm looking for is to
>>> save() an object retrieved using get() for an object
>>> that resulted from using assign. Something like
>>>
>>> save(get(foo),file=paste(foo,'rData',sep=''))
>>>
>>> where assign(foo,obj) creates an object named foo with the contents of obj
>>> assigned. For example, if
>>>
>>> x <- data.frame(v1=c(1,2,3,4),v2=c('1','2','3','4'))
>>> foo = 'my.x'
>>> assign(foo,x)
>>> # (... then modify foo as needed)
>>> save(get(foo),file=paste(foo,'.rData',sep=''))
>>>
>>> # though this generates " in save(get(foo), file = paste(foo, ".rData", sep
>>> = "")) :
>>> object ‘get(foo)’ not found", whereas
>>>
>>> get(foo)
>>>
>>> at the command prompt yields the contents of my.x
>>>
>>> There's a concept I'm missing here. Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> David Stevens
>>>
>>> --
>>> David K Stevens, P.E., Ph.D.
>>> Professor and Head, Environmental Engineering
>>> Civil and Environmental Engineering
>>> Utah Water Research Laboratory
>>> 8200 Old Main Hill
>>> Logan, UT  84322-8200