[R] subtracting degree minutes

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 26 23:43:09 CEST 2014

This probably doesn't count as simple, but you can convert your format, call it degrees.minutes, to decimal degrees, do the math and then convert back. The functions would be simple:

dm2dd <- function(x) trunc(x) + (x - trunc(x))/60*100
dd2dm <- function(x) trunc(x) + (x - trunc(x))*60/100

So your problem would be

> dd2dm(dm2dd(44.1) - dm2dd(.2))
[1] 43.5

Of course you could wrap that into a function if you are planning to do it frequently.

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352