[R] include sql statements

normannus normannus1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 14:06:32 CET 2014

Am 28.02.2014 20:54, schrieb Duncan Murdoch:
> On 28/02/2014 5:16 AM, Streng Ge-heim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all: I am new to R. Anyway, I would like to include sql
>> files in
>> my r-script, which I load via source("scriptname") in the CLI.
>>
>> The sql files (i.e. "stmt.sql") contains select statements with
>> joins, line
>> breaks, various characters, they can be quite long.
>>
>> My question is, is there a way to include external sql files for further
>> processing? Or how can I include them. I tried it with source(),
>> read.table
>> but I could get it to work.
>
> SQL is a different language from R.  You shouldn't expect source() to
> work.
>
> You can process SQL using RODBC or various other database packages,
> e.g. RSQLite.  They send the SQL statements to a database for processing.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
Thank you,
but I already use the ODBC R-library for connecting to the MySQL Server.
The problem I have is to put the sql statement into my script.R, or
better to say to load it into my script. SInce some sql-statements ar
quite long, using many line-breaks to keep the statement readable, using
control structures like if and case I could not manage to work it yet.
Because I do not like to format (to put it in one line, only) my sql
statement eacht time I process it with R.

Regards, Michel