[R] Zero-dose constraint in modeling dose-response curves with gam

Bleary avast55294 at mypacks.net
Thu Mar 6 22:08:21 CET 2014

I wish to compare several "products" in terms of their dose-response
functions as estimated by smooths via the gam function. Included in the
experimental evaluations are zero-dose ("blank") measurements. I want to set
up the gam estimation so that the fitted smooths for the several products
converge to a common value at zero dose equal to the estimated response for
the blank. I've read Simon Wood's post of Mar 26, 2013; 7:28am providing an
example of constraining a spline to pass through a particular point - but I
don't want to specify the response value there, I want to estimate it. Can
this be done with gam? If so, please point me to the relevant locations in
the gam or mgcv documentation or in Simon Wood's book on how to do this, or
if possible provide example R code. Thanks! -Bleary