[R] Emacs/R/SSH But View( ) Doesn't Work

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Mar 7 09:14:55 CET 2014

Hi

this is an ESS related question, and should be asked at their mailing
list [1].

But I guess, it has to do with the fact that View() opens a (tclk?)
window and, as the R session is on the server, tries to do it on the
server, which does not work. Look into rdired [2] in ESS which is a very
nice object browser.

Cheers,

Rainer

Allison Sr James L <AllisonSr.JamesL at johndeere.com> writes:

> I successfully run Emacs on a Windows laptop then use Emacs' Tramp to
> connect to a Linux server using SSH. Emacs in this fashion supports
> editing .R files resident on the remote machine and running of R in an
> inferior Emacs shell. The R process runs on the server. Also, I
> successfully use Putty and Xming to allow display of R plots executed
> in R on the remote machine to be displayed on the Windows laptop.
>
> One last thing that would complete this configuration is if I could
> use the R View( ) command to look at data frames resident within the R
> process. The following is the error:
>
>> View(cars)
> Error in .External2(C_dataviewer, x, title) : invalid device
> In addition: Warning message:
> In View(cars) : unable to open display
>>

> Has anyone been able to either get View( ) to work under this
> configuration or devised another solution? I have used Sweave with
> xtable and then displayed the pdf file in the Putty/Xming window on
> the laptop but this is slow.
>
> Thanks,
> Dr. Jim Allison
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]