[R] Saving R files

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 05:29:14 CET 2014

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM, David Parkhurst <parkhurs at imap.iu.edu> wrote:
> The penultimate line in ?rm is "rm(list = ls())".  I don't see anything that
> specific in ?save, and that's why I asked.  Perhaps there's language in
> ?save that implies that to those more experienced in R than I am, but I'm
> not that experienced.

Yes--see e.g., the second paragraph of the description in ?save:

"     ‘save.image()’ is just a short-cut for ‘save my current
     workspace’, i.e., ‘save(list = ls(all = TRUE), file = ".RData")’.
     It is also what happens with ‘q("yes")’."

The documentation of the arguments list to save (especially the "list"
argument) will also tell you that you can pass a character vector of
object names to be saved. Such a vector can be returned from 'ls()'.

Best,
Ista