[R] RTools and previous Cygwin installation--conflict?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:33:50 CET 2014

On 14-03-12 12:10 AM, Brent wrote:
> Background:
>      --I already had the latest 64 bit cygwin (1.7.28) installed on my Windows 7 box
>      --I am a new R user; I just installed the latest 64 bit R today (3.0.3)
>      --a coworker told me that I also need to install RTools, so, I also installed the latest RTools (3.1) from
>          http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
>      --during RTools installation, I accepted all the defaults, including "Cygwin DLLs"
>      --the sole additional item is that I checked to modify my PATH system env var
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
>
> So what's my concern?  That modifed PATH system env var.  After installation, PATH looks like
>      c:\Rtools\bin;c:\Rtools\gcc-4.6.3\bin;...;<my cygwin 64 bit path>
> So the RTools stuff is before my original cygwin path.
>
> This choice means that RTools should work just fine.
>
> ***But will it screw up my normal cygwin sessions?***
>
> In particular, if during a cygwin session a command is needed and a command with that name is found in Rtools, I assume that that version will be used.  But it may not be the newer one expected by cygwin--could that cause problems?
>
> Warren Young's very detailed answer here
>      https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18329233/is-it-advisable-to-switch-from-cygwin-32bit-to-cygwin-64bit
> indicates that 32 and 64 bit cygwin do not mix well...

My testing is done on 32 bit Cygwin.  Most of our tools are copies taken
from the 32 bit Cygwin build, but a few of them have local
modifications: file, make, sh and tar.  See the README.txt file for the
discussion.  Those ones will need 32 bit Cygwin DLLs available, and the
last time I tested several years ago, R would not build with the Cygwin
versions of those tools.

So my advice to you would be one of the following:

1.  Just use 32 bit Cygwin all the time with Rtools first in the path,
and things should work unless you really need the true Cygwin versions
of those 4 tools mentioned above.

2.  Set up a separate shell to use when using the R tools.  I would
guess the R tools would work in a 64 bit bash shell with Rtools first on
the path, but I haven't tested.  I would not trust the advice in the
stackoverflow article:  in particular, do not use any Cygwin version of
R.  We do not support them and as far as I know they do not pass the
self tests.

You can use the native 64 bit Windows build of R as long as Windows
supports 64 bit executables; it doesn't matter whether it is launched by
32 or 64 bit Cygwin.  So for almost everyone, (1) would be the best
choice.  You only need 64 bit Cygwin if you are building 64 bit Cygwin
programs and they need lots of memory.

> Some more info.
>
> I accepted the installer's default to include "Cygwin DLLs", even tho I already had 64 bit cygwin installed, because of this note:
>
>      "The Cygwin tools have been updated to versions current as of November 19, 2013. Cygwin now builds separate 32 bit and 64 bit versions; we include 32 bit versions of the tools. If your system only has 64 bit Cygwin DLLs installed, you will need to add our Cygwin DLLs to your path (or install the 32 bit Cygwin DLLs into Cygwin)."
>      http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
>
> But while web searching this issue, I came across a contrary recommendation:
>
>      "Some of the R tools use the Cygwin DLLs, which are included.  If you already have Cygwin installed, you should not install these"
>      http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/Rtools.txt

That should be updated to say "if you already have 32 bit Cygwin installed".

Duncan Murdoch