[R] Random effects model with PLM: "System is computationally singular"-Error?

Millo Giovanni giovanni.millo at generali.com
Sat Mar 15 12:57:43 CET 2014

Dear Thomas,

I cannot really answer because this is not a reproducible example; but your traceback() output already gives a hint: try changing the random.method to something different from default. In fact, as the singular matrix problem happens during estimation of variance components, using a different method may circumvent it.

Also please update.packages, and notice that plm.data() is deprecated (actually, it is defunct in the development version): please use pdata.frame() instead.

Best wishes,
Giovanni

Giovanni Millo, PhD
Research Dept.,