[R] Problems with clmm2 (ordinal data fit)

Rune Haubo rune.haubo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 22:30:27 CET 2014

Dear Caroline,

Yes, it seems you have complete separation for the 'Timepoint'
variable. This means that the likelihood is unbounded for that
parameter and the optimizer just terminates when it gets far enough
out on an asymptote and improvements are below a threshold. This is
also the reason the variance-covariance matrix of the parameters i
singular, and so standard errors and summary-p-values are not
available. This doesn't mean that you cannot perform the likelihood
ratio test though, so the anova() comparisons should not be
misleading.

I would recommend, though, that (1) if you really want to fit the
mixed-effects models, use the newer implementation in clmm() instead
of clmm2(), and that you (2) fit your models without the
random-effects term, since the variance of that is clearly zero (and
hence use clm()) - this is going to add to the instability of the
optimization and singularity of the variance-covariance matrix of the
parameters.

Hope this helps,
Rune