[R] open unknown file format in R

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon Mar 17 20:43:37 CET 2014

If it's a text file, any of the usual functions, such as read.table(),
scan(), etc.

If it's a binary file, try readBin()

It's up to you to find out what kind of a file it is, and how the data is
structured within the file.
(hint: on a unix-alike system, the 'file' command will tell you something
useful. or just try opening it with a text editor)

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory