[R] How to import SAS file defining codes by SAS format catalog file

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 10:52:43 CET 2014

Also, once you are working in R, you need to familiarize yourself with the concept of a factor object. These are used to represent categories in R. Unlike SAS, R considers the categorical/quantitative distinction as part of the variable, e.g. in modeling you don't use CLASS directives, you ensure that the variable is a factor. You create factors from numerical codes with factor(), and in the process you may attach meaningful labels to the factor levels.

(There's a whole book by Robert Muenchen designed to ease the transition from SAS to R.)

-pd