[R] time series processing - count of datestamp delta's, per group

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Sun Mar 23 12:07:44 CET 2014

Hi Martin,

it sounds like you want the difference between the first and the last
observation per user, not, e.g., all the date differences between
successive observations of each separate user. Correct me if I'm wrong.
That said, let's build some toy data:

set.seed(1)
dataset <- data.frame(User=sample(LETTERS[1:5],100,replace=TRUE),
	Date=sample(as.Date("2014-01-01")+0:364,100,replace=TRUE))

Now we can calculate these differences and plot a histogram or tabulate:

foo <- with(dataset,by(Date,User,function(xx)diff(range(xx))))
hist(foo)
table(foo)

The key here is really the by() function, which calculates a function
(here an anonymous function "function(xx)diff(range(xx))") applied to
some data (here dataset$Date) separately for each level of a grouping
factor (here dataset$User).

HTH,
Stephan