[R] randomForest warning: The response has five or fewer unique values. Are you sure you want to do regression?

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Mar 25 01:37:23 CET 2014

If you are using the code, that's not really using randomForest directly.  I don't understand the data structure you have (since you did not show anything) so can't really tell you much.  In any case, that warning came from randomForest() when it is run in regression mode but the response has fewer than five distinct values.  It may be legitimate regression data, and if so you can safely ignore the warning (that's why it's not an error).  It's there to catch the cases when people try to do classification with class labels 1, 2, ..., k and forgot to make it a factor.

Best,
Andy Liaw