[R] Digits in R

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Tue Mar 25 15:01:38 CET 2014

The digits option gives you the number of significant digits
(ignoring leading zeros after the decimal) and it operates on a
column by column basis. The first and second columns have values
with a leading zero after the decimal (-0.04074 in both columns)
so R prints five decimal places to get four significant digits
(4074). In the third and fourth columns four decimals are enough
so R uses that.

The round() function lets you specify the number of decimal
places directly:

round(vars, 4)

To set and reset the "digits" option:

oldpar <- options(digits=4) # Set digits and save the default
value

# Commands using digits=4

options(oldpar) # Resets to the default value

David L Carlson
Department of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77840-4352