[R] Clinical significance - Equivalence test

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:43:54 CET 2014

I agree with the others that you should consult with a statistician,
but here are some additional things to consider:

The usual equivalence test can be done much simpler (both computation
and conception) by just calculating a confidence interval on the
difference and seeing if the entire interval is within the equivalence
region.  But you may also want to look at non-inferiority.

But the straight forward equivalence testing may not be the best
option, consider this comparison:  Lets assume that systolic blood
pressure in our population of interest has a mean of 120 with a
standard deviation of 20 (those are actually fairly close to truth for
healthy adults), my new test is to flip a fair coin and report a
systolic blood pressure of 20 if the coin is tails and a systolic
blood pressure of 220 if the coin lands heads.  These 2 distributions
have the same mean of 120, so with a large enough sample size we can
show these 2 to be equivalent (according to the mean).  But I for one
do not want my doctor using the second approach in deciding if I need
medication for high or low blood pressure.

What if I have 2 measures that have a perfect monotonic relationship,
but different means for my population.  This means that they are not
equivalent, but knowing one value would give me a perfect knowledge of
the other (just need some calculations/adjustment), I would definitely
prefer this to the coin flipping above.

I would suggest googling for "Bland Altman", they are 2 authors of
several papers, tutorials, websites, etc. that talk about many of
these issues is more depth looking at better approaches in many cases
than a simple equivalence test.