[R] Overlay two shapefiles in same map axes rgdal/maptools

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Tue Nov 18 14:13:32 CET 2014

Zilefac Elvis <zilefacelvis <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have two spatial map objects (reproducible example further down)
> which I would like to overlay in R. The
> ESRI shapefiles were read using:

The reproduction of the data didn't work with dput().

> library(rgdal)
> Prairie.Boundaries <-  readOGR(".", "boundaries")
> watersheds<-readOGR(".","watersheds")
>
> The two objects have same projection:
> print(proj4string(watersheds))
> [1] "+proj=longlat +datum=NAD83 +no_defs +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0"
>
> print(proj4string(Prairie.Boundaries))
> [1] "+proj=longlat +datum=NAD83 +no_defs +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0"
>
> However, the spatial limits are different:

This is not an intrinsic problem.

> Problem:
> How can I overlay "watersheds" on "Prairie.Boundaries"?
>
> For example:
>
> plot(Prairie.Boundaries, axes=TRUE, border="black")
> plot(watersheds,border="gray8",col="white",axes=TRUE)

I do not see add=TRUE here, so the second plot() erases the first. If you
are trying to overplot Prairie.Boundaries with filled watersheds polygons,
the Prairie.Boundaries will be covered anyway with col="white".
What happens with:

plot(watersheds, border="gray8", col="white", axes=TRUE)
plot(Prairie.Boundaries, add=TRUE)

Consider posting questions of this kind on R-sig-geo, this list is for
general R help.

Do try to grasp what you are trying to do first, before asking for help.
Also check that reproducible examples actually reproduce.