[R] Equivalent to matlab ".*" operator in R

Wed Nov 19 16:24:48 CET 2014

When your matrices are the same size, the "*" operator does what you want. The problem is that you have to make a conforming version of z before you can use that operator.

y*matrix(rep(z,3),ncol=2,byrow=TRUE)

or

y*matrix(rep(z,each=3),ncol=2)

To interpret this, just keep in mind that matrices are folded vectors in R... every matrix can be thought of as a linear vector of columnwise data with dimension attributes.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On November 19, 2014 6:43:55 AM PST, "Ruima E." <ruimaximo at gmail.com> wrote:
>Thank you Chel Hee.
>
>Isn't there a simpler way to do so?
>

>On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Chel Hee Lee <chl948 at mail.usask.ca>
>wrote:
>>> y = matrix(cbind(c(0, 0.5, 1),c(0, 0.5, 1)),ncol=2)
>>> z = matrix(c(12, -6),ncol=2)
>>> t(apply(y, 1, function(x) x*z))
>>      [,1] [,2]
>> [1,]    0    0
>> [2,]    6   -3
>> [3,]   12   -6
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> Chel Hee Lee
>>
>> On 14-11-19 08:22 AM, Ruima E. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have this:
>>>
>>> y = matrix(cbind(c(0, 0.5, 1),c(0, 0.5, 1)),ncol=2)
>>> z = matrix(c(12, -6),ncol=2)
>>>
>>> In matlab I would do this

>>> I would get this in matlab

>>> 0    -0