[R] Question on R lattice graphics

Julie Hope jah23 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 20:06:13 CET 2014

Hi,

Ignore the last email - R has plotted the number of data points (100) I
have and using that as a scale rather than the normalised data values

Sorry to be a pest!!

Julie

Julie Hope (NERC PhD Student)
Sediment Ecology Research Group, University of St Andrews
& School of Geoscience, Bangor University
Scottish Oceans Institute
University of St Andrews, East Sands
St Andrews, Fife
KY16 8LB
Tel No:  01334 463469 / Email: jah23 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Web: http://synergy.st-andrews.ac.uk/serg

On 19 November 2014 18:48, Julie Hope <jah23 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently using the lattice library and trellis graphs to explore my
> data.  Without going into too much detail of the data I just have a
> question about how dot plot in the lattice library scales things...
>
> I have normalised data that I am exploring as a function of time
> partitioned by Date
>
> *dotplot(NormCarbs ~ time | date)*
>
> I also wanted to look at this Normalised data as a function of a conc,
> again partitioned by Date
>
> *dotplot(NormCarbs ~ ugml1 | date)*
>
> For the first plot above - the Normcarbs on Y axis is the scale of my
> original data (0 - 0.1) - (I have very low values)
>
> However when the second plot above is run in R, my scale jumps to 1-100 on
> the Y axis for NormCarbs?
>
> I have no idea if the fact that the ugml1 on the X axis is in the region 0
> - 350 ugml1 has anything to do with this?  Is R correcting to keep both
> variables in the same order of magnitude?
>
> The NormCarbs data for each plot are both draw from the same column of
> data in my csv file  in which the values are between 0 - 0.1.
>
> The second plot looks great actually, I'm just wondering what R is doing.
> The code above is all I have specified?
>
> Is it scaling it to allow me to see the data better?  I can't really
> decipher the first plots data as everything is so close together so it
> would be good to be able to control this to allow me to explore the data
> better before I start to
>
> If so, is there a way for me to control this (i.e. by controlling the
> scaling)
>
> What is R doing mathematically to my data to get this?
>
> *Any help on this would be very much appreciated.  *
>
> *Thank you!*
>
> *Julie*
>

> Julie Hope (NERC PhD Student)
> Sediment Ecology Research Group, University of St Andrews
> & School of Geoscience, Bangor University
> Scottish Oceans Institute
> University of St Andrews, East Sands
> St Andrews, Fife
> KY16 8LB