[R] Comparing summary hazard ratios in meta-analysis

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 13:24:48 CET 2014

On 21/11/2014 08:51, Mario Petretta wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I use R 3.1.1 for Windows.
>
> I performed two different meta-analysis assessing the prognostic value of
> two different tests in patients with coronary artery disease. The study
> included in the two analysis are different.

That makes life simpler.

> The variable of interest in dichotomous (normal/abnormal result) for both
> tests.
>
> The effects size is hazard ratio and its standard error (ln units) for both
> meta-analysis.

It sounds as though you might want to use meta-regression. You will need
a single data frame containing at least log hr, se of log hr, an
identifier for the test. I would use the metafor package for this, look
in the documentation for how to incorporate a moderator (your test
variable). The advantage of meta-regression is that you not only get a
test but also a measure of how different the hr are with a confidence
interval.

> I would like to statistically compare the two summary hazard ratios and 95%
> CI (eform) obtained from the two meta-analysis.
>
> For one meta-analysis: HR 3.12 (95% CI 2.2 - 4.1)
> For the other: HR 1.25 (95% CI 1.03 - 2.6)
>
> It is possible or I'm comparing apples with oranges?
>
> Any suggestion is welcome.

> Mario Petretta
> Associate Professor of Internal Medicine
> Department of Translational Medical Sciences Naples
> University Federico II Italy
>

> ---
> Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk