[R] R website

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 10:39:39 CET 2014

On 20 Nov 2014, at 23:02 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/2014, 4:35 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:
>> This prompted me to do something I've been meaning to do for a long
>> time, which is to try to get the R website updated in terms of visual
>> style. It really is showing it's age and could use a facelift in my
>> opinion. Toward than end I've mocked up a copy of cran.r-project.or
>> using css from the python.org website. You can see the result at
>> http://izahn.crabdance.com/~izahn/cran-new-css . This is a rough draft
>> and needs to be cleaned up, but I though I would float this here first
>> to see if there is any hope of getting such a change to be adopted
>> before I spent more time on it. Feedback and comments welcome.
>
> You're sending that to the wrong place.  The R website is
> www.r-project.org; cran.r-project.org is the CRAN website.  You'll need
> to discuss that one with CRAN.

Hmm. The two websites are pretty similar in terms of their infrastructure, so I don't see much point in taking it up with CRAN specifically. The CRAN architects have a lot of other stuff on their minds so probably prefer not to take ownership of a website redesign.

R-help is probably the wrong place, but I don't see a problem with discussing such matters over at r-devel. (I had a look at the facelift, and it sort of looks OK, but it is purely a style-sheet makeover, and it doesn't address the structural issues -- the use of frames, etc.)

-pd