[R] How do I extract single entries from a factor?

Aditya Singh aps6dl at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 08:12:24 CET 2014

Dear Boris and R-Experts,

I have a variable my_state which is a 2-letter character string telling which American state the user inputs. This I am do a if(identical(database entry,my_state)) to check for occurrences in the database.

The problem is that the database entry[i,j] shows as a factor with various levels, e.g. the output when I do class(database[i,j])is:

[1] "TX"
AL.. levels through WY

How do I convert a factor into a character?

Aditya