[R] package submission

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 22:46:43 CET 2014

> I was similarly bitten a couple of days ago when I submitted an update
> of my deldir package.  I'm*pretty*  sure that I completed all the
> requisite steps in the steps in the web-based submission procedure, but
> I never received the promised "confirmation email".  Being a thicko, I
> overlooked this fact, and started to wonder why the update never
> appeared on CRAN.  Eventually I got my act together, went over the
> instructions and re-submitted the package.  This time I got the
> confirmation email, and the update duly appeared on CRAN.
>
> Maybe there's a buglet in the software that effects the automated
> submission procedure.

I was similarly bitten but, paying closer attention on the second
attempt, I suspect I thought I was finished at  "successfully uploaded"
and I did not go all the way to the very bottom to see that I then had
to click on submit to get the "successfully submitted" page. (Text of
the messages from memory, so may not be exact.) Once successfully
submitted, the email asking for confirmation is almost instantaneous.

For users like me that push the boundaries of discovering possible user
errors, it would be helpful if the first message said "successfully
uploaded - now read this page and submit at the bottom".

Paul

I would have said it's more likely that I