[R] Best Beginner Books?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:50:32 CEST 2014

It depends quite a bit on where you are coming from.

If you come from the mathematical side of things, i.e. you're not scared at the thought of multiplying matrices, know a good deal about statistics and have some experience with programming languages, the document by Venables and Smith "An Introduction to R" (http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html) may be the most efficient way to get started.

My book, originally written for a course that use Altman's book on Medical Statistics at the main tex, is aimed at people who have been (or are being) exposed to the basic set of statistical methods and need to know how to do things in R.

Yet others (e.g. Matloff) focus on the programming language aspects of R, some specifically target Data Science (whatever that means), etc. So you may need to shop around a little.

-pd