[R] a question about arimax, please

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 23:56:46 CEST 2014

In package TSA?

You may need to do some studying for yourself, this is complicated stuff.

As I read the help page, the intention is that the transfer= bit is to allow a _covariate_ to affect the process in an ARMA-like fashion. So c(1,0) would be AR(1)-like which if I remember correctly corresponds to an exponentially decaying effect of instantaneous shocks to the system. And c(0,0) would be MA(0)-like, which I suppose would be an effect that only affected the same period as the instantaneous shock. In the example, we have the same covariate (Sept. 2001) contributing with both kinds of effect, so xtransf= has the same variable twice.

-pd