[R] understanding the no-label concept

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 12 08:57:51 CEST 2014

On 11/10/2014 22:16, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:
>
>> It looks like a terminology issue.  R has names for elements of a
>> vector and for rows and
>> columns of a matrix or data.frame, and more generally for all
>> dimensions of multi-dimensional array.
>>
>> I think your next step is to read the introductory document.
>> Start with either of these (they are the same content)
>> system.file("../../doc/manual/R-intro.html")
>> system.file("../../doc/manual/R-intro.pdf")
>>
>> For the specific situations you described, here are examples.
>>
>> aa <- 1:5
>> names(aa) <- letters[1:5]
>> aa
>> names(aa) <- c("ABC","DEF","GHI","LMN","OPQ")
>> aa
>>
>> bb <- matrix(1:12, 3, 4, dimnames=list(letters[1:3], LETTERS[1:4]))
>> bb
>>
>> ## install.packages("Hmisc") ## if you don't have it yet
>> library(Hmisc)
>> latex(bb)
>
> Hmisc also has a labeling facility and mechanisms for importing SAS labels.
(I don't know if importation of SPSS labels is supported.)

It is, in package foreign.

Hmisc::label uses the capacity of R to attach attributes to data-objects.
So pay particular attention to the introductory material that Richard
(and  Bert Gunther) refer you to in the area of "attributes", and read
?Hmisc::label (after installing that package.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK