[R] pasteFromExcel

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 20 19:56:02 CEST 2014

On Oct 20, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Dan Murphy wrote:

> Nice.
> So if someone were to offer a currency regular expression that works
> in their locale, I should also ask them to give me the results of
> Sys.getlocale("LC_MONETARY")
> and
> options("OutDec")
> and confirm that MS Excel honors that OutDec.

I'm not sure we can know what you mean by "confirm that MS Excel honors that OutDec." The result of options("OutDec") was intended for you to determine what character not to remove from a monetary value in an R workspace. If the assumption is that all values will be in the same unit and that the user is not doing any currency conversions then:

>  decsep <- options("OutDec")
> rmchar <- paste0( "[$£€", c(".", ",")[!c(".", ",") %in% decsep], "]" )
> gsub(rmchar, "", c("$1,000", "1,200", "800"))
[1] "1000" "1200" "800"

> Thank you, David.
> -Dan
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM, David Winsemius
> <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 19, 2014, at 11:18 PM, Dan Murphy wrote:
>>
>>> To Users of Excel:
>>>
>>> Following advice from Brian and Markus, I created an RMarkdown "vignette"
>>> that shows an example of how the pasteFromExcel function in the excelRio
>>> package on github could be used by an actuary to transfer a triangle from
>>> Excel to R. See today's post at http://trinostics.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, if you are located outside the US, the demonstrated
>>> functionality will not work for you because the currency regex implemented
>>> assumes the dollar sign ($) and comma/decimal punctuation of the form
>>> 999,999.00.
>>>
>>> If anyone is interested in contributing currency regex expressions that
>>> work in your locale, I would be happy to try to incorporate them in the
>>> package. If anyone knows how best to determine the user's locale (might
>>> "timezone" suffice?), I'd appreciate that help too.
>>>

>> ?Sys.getlocale   # perhaps "LC_MONETARY"
>>
>> ?options   # look for OutDec
>>

>>>      [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>>

>> David Winsemius
>> Alameda, CA, USA